Thursday, August 7, 2008

Train to Chaing Mai

Given that my sleeper seat had only cost $25 and based on other train experiences I've had where the food on board is either inedible or limited to chips and candy bars, I was prepared to huddle down for the 13 hour overnight train ride from Bangkok to Chiang Mai with my Dunkin Donuts iced coffee, spring rolls and some cashews saved from Tanzania. Instead, at 7:30, I was served delicious green curry chicken, with rice and soup and pineapple for dessert. Despite reports of a disco party in the dining car, I then settled into a great night of sleep on my comfy and spacious sleeper bed. In the morning, I was awakened for a hot breakfast of congee and coffee and pineapple and arrived in Chiang Mai just before 8am this morning. I'm staying at Julie Guesthouse in the old part of Chiang Mai for at least the next two nights. After that, who knows! Another update to come tomorrow...
Train food - it may not look like much, but when you're expecting nothing....its fabulous!!!
Train bed - lower berth is definitely better!
6:30am view from the train - almost to Chiang Mai!

1 comment:

ryuzon said...

OMG. So jealous right now!!! Never been to Chiang Mai, but I heard it was fantastic. Eat some Tom Yum soup for me with lots of chilis!

Glad you're having fun.
Ryan