Monday, June 23, 2008

So far so good!

Made it halfway! I`m sitting in an internet cafe in downtown Frankfurt next door to the Hauptbanhof and trying to figure out the best way to spend my five hours in Deutschland. Seeing as my $20 only got me 10 euros when i changed it at the airport, I`m feeling pretty good about my decision to stay clear of the eurozone this summer!

Departure from SFO was super smooth...Chien took me to the airport and we shared one last cup of tea before saying goodbye. Despite being pretty emotional people and despite the fact that we don´t really know when we`ll see each other again (she leaves for bschool in London before I get back), we did good on the tears front. I`m proud of us.

So, if saying goodbye to chien was the lowpoint of the trip so far (all 12 hours of it), the high point has to be scoring a bank of seats all to myself and sleeping flat out the entire way from SF to Frankfurt. All the more amazing because when I checked in, I didnt have a seat assignment (uh oh) and when my name was finally called at the gate, I was greeted with a middle seat in a middle section (double uh oh). But, one flash of my United mileage plus card with premier status (thanks Visa!) and I was moved up to Economy Plus (comp`d) with extra leg room in the one row of the super packed flight that wasnt packed at all.

One more overnight flight to go! Next post: Jo´burg.

No comments: